Every August I eagerly await the arrival of my zucchini and yellow squash from my humble garden. So much depends on the weather, and this year was probably my best ever…. to the point where I simply had too much… but I’m not complaining. They make excellent hostess gifts and I prepared this perfect side dish inspired by Jennifer Fisher that every member of my family and all dinner guests devoured. See for yourself!
Recipe serves two people as a side
- 2 green zucchini sliced into paper thin rounds using a sharp knife or mandoline
- 1 yellow summer squash sliced into paper thin rounds using a sharp knife or mandolin
- 3/4 cup of grated parmesan cheese
- 1 small shallot chopped very fine
- Olive oil to drizzle
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine zucchini and squash rounds with chopped shallot, drizzle lightly with olive oil and toss with hands to coat evenly.
- Spread rounds on to parchment lined baking sheet and even out to a thin layer trying to expose as much of the squash and zucchini as you can.
- Sprinkle the parmesan cheese over the top of the vegetables. Sprinkle generously with salt and black pepper.
- Bake until golden brown and forms a nice crust on top.
- Serve as a side with protein of your choice or save to add as a great salad topper for lunch the next day.