My modest vegetable garden is doing beautifully this summer! My family of four can’t even get through all of its abundance so I have been tying twine ribbons around a lot of it and giving it as house warming gifts when we visit friends and family. But I do covet my squash and zucchini as with these vegetables I can get very creative and mix it up. Here I am including my all-time favorite zucchini bread. Flavorful, delicious and ultra healthy… See for yourself!
Recipe yields 1 loaf
- ⅓ cup melted coconut oil
- ½ cup honey
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup milk of choice or water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon + more to swirl on top
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 ½ cups grated zucchini (you’ll need 1 small-to-medium zucchini, about 7 ounces)
- 1 ¾ cups whole wheat flour
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line a small, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper for easy cleanup, and grease a 9” x 5” loaf pan to prevent the bread from sticking.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the coconut oil and honey. Beat them with a whisk until they are combined. Add the eggs and beat well. (If your coconut oil solidifies on contact with cold ingredients, simply let the bowl rest in a warm place for a few minutes, like on top of your stove, or warm it for about 20 seconds in the microwave.)
- Add the milk, baking soda, cinnamon, vanilla, salt and nutmeg, and whisk to blend. Switch to a big spoon and stir in the zucchini, then add the flour and stir just until combined.
- Pour the batter into your greased loaf pan and sprinkle lightly with additional cinnamon.
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let the bread cool in the loaf pan for 10 minutes, then transfer it to a wire rack to cool for 20 minutes.